The history of Aultman College of Nursing and Health Sciences begins back in January of 1890, when Mrs. Elizabeth Harter, daughter of manufacturer and banker Cornelius Aultman, purchased 4.5 acres of land in the southwest end of Canton, Ohio. The next year, Mrs Harter and her stepmother, Katherina Barron Aultman, deeded the land to the Aultman Hospital Association. On January 17, 1892, Aultman Hospital, Stark County's first hospital, opened its doors.
From its inception, Aultman Hospital recognized the need for a qualified and educated staff of health care professionals. Within the same year that the Hospital opened, the Aultman Hospital Training School for Nurses was established in the north end of the hospital. The only requirement for a student to enter the two year program was "a desire to care for the sick." The first class consisted of three students, but only one completed the program. Emma Lupher, who made her own uniform, was awarded her nursing diploma on May 2, 1894 and is recognized as the first Aultman graduate.
The school received approval from the State of Ohio on January 1, 1916 and was called the Aultman Hospital School of Nursing. Since that time, thousands of nurses have graduated from the diploma program and gone on to work in health care settings locally and throughout the world.
As health care continued to evolve, Aultman recognized the need for nursing education beyond a diploma program. The School of Nursing expanded its curriculum and became an incorporated college in 2004, changing its name to Aultman College of Nursing and Health Sciences. In 2005, the College was authorized by the Ohio Board of Regents (OBR) to offer its first degree program, an Associate of Science in Nursing. Following an extensive self-study process and on-site assessment, the College was granted Initial Accreditation by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Assocation of Colleges and Schools in 2009.
Growth continued in 2010, when the College was authorized and accredited to begin offering a second degree program, an Associate of Science in Radiography (ASR). The ASR program capitalizes on Aultman's expertise and extensive experience in training radiology technologists through the Aultman Hospital School of Radiologic Technology, established in 1947. In August 2011, the final certificate class will graduate from the School of Radiologic Technology, and the first cohort of ASR students will begin at Aultman College.
Mission and History of Aultman Hospital