Transferring Credit to Aultman College
The transfer equivalency guide is a tool for prospective students to use when reviewing the transferability of courses to Aultman College. It is important for students transferring credit to Aultman College to submit a final official transcript after completing all coursework from another institution. Additional information regarding transfer credit can be found in the Transfer Credit Policy below. For questions about transferring credit, please contact the Office of the Registrar.
Transfer Credit Policy
Transfer credit analysis is conducted after a student is accepted to the college. Only official English language transcripts are accepted for evaluation of transferrable course(s) from previously attended educational institutions. A transcript is considered official when stamped with the official school seal, signed by the appropriate school official, and received in a sealed envelope from the originating institution or official electronic transcripts from the school or vendor (e.g., Parchment). College credit will not be awarded for life experience.
For transfer credit to be awarded, courses must have equivalent content as determined by catalog course descriptions or evaluation by departmental faculty.
- Content evaluated is based on the catalog and course description(s) for the specific term during which the course was completed.
- Resources such as past catalogs, course descriptions, and course syllabi may be acquired from the previously attended institution and used in the evaluation.
Evaluation of courses NOT part of the current transfer credit equivalency list will be completed by the registrar and/or academic division directors who are responsible for determining course content matches.
- Resources such as past catalogs, course descriptions, student work, and course syllabi may be acquired from the previously attended institution and used in the evaluation.
Math and science courses must be completed within seven (7) years of the semester date of the request. Math and Science courses must be completed with a B (3.0) or better; all other courses must be completed with a C (2.0) or better.
- Exceptions to this may be outlined in specific program sections below.
Nursing and Radiography courses must be completed within three (3) years of the semester date of the request with a grade of C (2.0) or better.
- Skills validation testing may be required
- The granting of Nursing transfer credit constitutes advanced standing.
Transfer credit awards become FINAL at the end of the first semester of enrollment in a program. All submissions and appeals must be filed two (2) weeks before the end of the student’s first semester, and appeal decisions must be completed prior to that final date. Only transcripts submitted during the college admissions process will be considered for transfer credit.
Transfer courses must match or exceed the semester credit-hour requirement for Aultman College courses; for example, 5.0 and 4.0 quarter credit-hour courses will be considered equivalent to a 3.0 semester credit- hour course.
The Aultman College Transfer Credit Equivalencies guide located on the college website contains details.
Awarded transfer credit grades are reflected on the student’s Aultman College transcript but are not calculated into the student’s grade-point average (GPA).
- Associate degree programs require that 41 credit hours be completed at Aultman College.
- Bachelor degree programs require that 80 credit hours be completed at Aultman College. Exceptions to this are outlined below.
- BSHS and BSW students may receive up to 65 hours of block and/or transfer credit for an active, unencumbered healthcare license as determined through a Prior Learning Assessment or as outlined in an approved articulation agreement
- BSN Completion (BSNC) Program The BSNC requires 120 credit hours, 32 of which are granted for an active, unencumbered RN license. Students must complete 26 credit hours of nursing course work in the BSNC curriculum. Students must also complete 62 credit hours of general education courses, all of which are available at Aultman College, but up to 50 of the 62 general education credits may be transferred in. The BSNC residency requirement allows a maximum of 82 transfer semester credit hours toward the 120-credit hour degree. At least 38 credit hours must be completed at Aultman College. The college will accept general education course work with no time limitation on the completion of those courses. Transfer credit will only be awarded for courses that earned a grade of C or better.
Advanced Standing- the process for determining academic credit granted for prior nursing courses or transfer credit (OBN 4723-5-01)
- The student submits all official transcripts to Admissions for transfer credit consideration. Courses to be considered for transfer credit must appear on the transcript from the original institution where the course was taken.
a. After the student is accepted to the college, the registrar evaluates the transcript.
b. The registrar cross-references the current transfer credit equivalencies list with the transcript and grants credit for exact matches.
If the registrar cannot determine the match, the appropriate faculty member evaluates the course based on course outcomes.
- When credit is granted, the registrar enters data into the SIS. For credit granted from non-equivalency institutions, data is additionally entered into an internal tracking spreadsheet.
- A Statement of Student Transfer Courses is generated, and the student is notified of the results.
- If the student disagrees with the awarding of transfer credit, he/she must complete the appeal procedure no later than two (2) weeks prior to the end of his/her first semester in a program (see Appeal Procedure below).
Transfer credit in the appeals process is reserved for transcripted college academic courses only. Following the evaluation of a student transcript from another institution, Aultman College shall provide the student with a Statement of Student Transfer Courses. At the same time, the college will inform the student of the appeal process. This process as outlined below is multi-level, and responses will be issued promptly.
- Students who disagree with the awarding of transfer credit must file an appeal no later than two (2) weeks prior to the end of the student’s first semester in a program.
- The student should complete the Transfer Credit Evaluation Request Form found on the college website (www.aultmancollege.edu).
- The completed Transfer Credit Evaluation Request Form should be submitted with course syllabus/i to the registrar, who will forward it to the appropriate division dean(s). The student is advised to keep a copy as a personal record.
- The division dean(s) will consult with faculty to re-evaluate the course(s) for which the student is requesting reconsideration. This process should be completed within two (2) weeks of the date of receipt of the complete appeal request including attached syllabi. The student will be notified of the final decision.