Completing the FAFSA
Applying for financial aid always starts with the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Here’s how to get started:
Completing the FASFA
To be eligible for all federal, state and institutional aid, students must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each academic year. Review the following information and complete your application to ensure you receive the financial assistance you need.
1 Before You Apply
Before you apply for federal financial aid, please complete the following required steps:
- Register for an FSA ID. An FSA ID gives you access to federal student aid’s online systems and can serve as your legal signature.
- Collect the following documents:
- Complete your income tax return (optional)
- Social Security Number or Alien Registration Number
- Most recent federal income tax returns, W-2s and other records of money earned
- Bank statements and records of investments (if applicable)
- Records of untaxed income (if applicable)
2 Completing the Application
Follow the instructions below to apply for federal financial aid:
- Complete and submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or renewal FAFSA online at www.fafsa.ed.gov. The FAFSA usually becomes available around October 1 for the following academic year.
- When you submit the FAFSA, enter the Aultman College school code: 006487 so that we receive your results.
FAFSA processing can take up to 4 weeks. The results will automatically be forwarded to Aultman College by the federal government as long as our school code is listed. The Department of Education will forward you a copy of the Student Aid Report (SAR) once your FAFSA is completed. Please review the SAR to confirm the accuracy of the information and make any corrections, if applicable.
Once your SAR has been accepted, the college will email you the award letter. Upon receipt of the award letter, students must accept or reject the award and return the signed letter within 14 days to the Financial Aid Office.
3 Application Priority Deadlines
For information on when the FAFSA needs to be submitted to meet federal and state deadlines for aid, visit https://fafsa.ed.gov/deadlines.htm. For priority consideration for institutional (Aultman College) aid, your FAFSA must be submitted by the following deadlines based on the semester you plan to start at the college:
- Spring Semester: October 1
- Fall Semester: April 1
4 Late Applications
Applicants who apply after the priority dates may still receive financial aid, if eligible; however, some funds may be limited. Students should seek other means to meet payment deadlines until late applications can be processed and funds are released.